This heart banner is really easy and really cute! The hearts would be perfect for Valentine's Day, a birthday or just to say I Love you! If you make a purchase using the affiliate links included, we may earn a commission.
A handmade banner is a perfect decoration for any celebration that you can create in your spare time.
This banner is so much fun to make and can easily be modified to fit any holiday or theme.
This is a fun way to make Valentine's day decorations, but switch the heart out for clovers and it becomes a St. Patrick's Day banner!
The best part is, no glue or fabric is needed which means this fun project really is a great heart banner tutorial.
Craft Tutorial Video:
Like videos? I have a video tutorial for you! Subscribe to my YouTube Channel so you don't miss out on any future video tutorials
Instead of twine, you could also use a piece of yarn or string.
The holographic texture pack of duct tape came in a package of 6 colors. Each different color is so pretty that I definitely need to make another easy craft with these fun colors.
I made my heart garland with 8 pennants, but you can add as many pennants as needed for your banner.
Cut a piece of twine longer than you need to hand your banner in your space. For me, it was about 1 yard.
Cut a piece of tape about 10 inches long.
Lay the twine through the center of the strip of tape.
Carefully fold the strip in half, lining up the sides.
Space the strips about 1 inch apart, and repeat the steps above to add more pennants.
Shaping the Pennants:
There are two different ways you can add dovetails to the pennants.
We'll start with scissors first.
Lightly fold the pennant between your fingers without creasing the pennant.
With a pair of scissors, cut from the folded edge at an angle to the corner. This will cut out a triangle from the pennant giving you a dovetail.
Another great way to add the dovetails is with the Banner Punch Board.
Using the board will make all of your pennants look exactly the same, and it is very simple to use.
Align the top of the banner on the 4.5-inch line and center between the 2-inch lines.
Close the top and use the blade in the track to cut the dovetails.
See how perfect that dovetail is?
Repeat for all of the pennants.
We are going to cut out the hearts using a paper punch, but to do this we need some backing paper to apply to the back of the duct tape.
I tried wax paper and it did work, but using the backing paper to contact paper worked great!
I cut a strip of contact paper 3 inches wide, peeled back the adhesive vinyl, and threw it away.
Roll out a length of duct tape onto that backing paper.
Feed the length of duck tape through the paper punch and punch out the hearts.
You will need the same number of hearts as pennants.
Remove the backing paper from the duct tape heart shape and then apply it to a pennant on your banner.
After all of the hearts have been applied, your Valentine's banner is finished!
Didn't this easy project turn out so cute? I told you it was the perfect craft for Valentine's Day.
The good news is that this banner can easily be reused year after year, unlike a paper heart banner that is really only good for one season.
Where will you hang your cute garland? A mantel, or a window? I'd love to know!
Our Crafting Essentials List:
- The Cricut Cutting Machine is easily our favorite crafting tool. We use it in so many of our tutorials!
- These MakerX Crafting Tools are perfect for keeping in the craft room, and are always ready when needed!
- This Fiskars Paper Trimmer is easy to use and cuts nicely without frayed edges.
- These Scotch Precision Scissors cut like a dream and you get multiple pairs in a pack!
- How To Make A Paper Banner Template (Easy Instructions)
- How to Make Food Labels for a Party with Munbyn
- 3 Tier DIY Wood Cupcake Stand Laser Cut File
- 20 Interactive Valentine's Day Party Games For Kids And Adults
- 20 Fantastic Paper Flower Garlands for Weddings (And How To Make Them Yourself)
- Donut Party Supplies: 15 Fun DIY Donut Decorations
- How to Make an Easy Ribbon Banner
- How to Make a Personalized Etched Glass Wine Bottle
- 20 of the Cutest Valentine Card Boxes on Pinterest
- How to Make a Manly Beef Jerky Bouquet
- 25 Easy Paper Heart Crafts Ideas
- 20 Classroom Valentines Cards You Can Make with Cricut