Learn how to make a Cricut card using the Cricut Joy App. We’ll walk you through the basics of designing and then cutting your handmade card. Some products for this tutorial were supplied by Cricut. If you make a purchase using the links below, we may earn a commission.
Have you ever needed the perfect card?
It could have been for a birthday, wedding, or just because, but none of the cards you could find felt right.
Don't spend 20 minutes in the card aisle reading cards, when you could be designing the perfect card yourself!
Craft Video Tutorial:
Like videos? I have a video tutorial for you! Subscribe to my YouTube Channel so you don't miss out on any future video tutorials.
More Cricut Craft Tutorials:
The Cricut is our very favorite crafting tool, so naturally, we have shared lots of Cricut tutorials. Like Unboxing the Cricut Hat Press, Glass Etched Drinking Glasses, and Personalized Cutting Boards.
Be sure to look around the blog for more Cricut Craft Ideas!
Supplies You'll Need to Create this Project:
Install the Cricut Joy App on your Device:
The Cricut Joy App is available for iOS and Android devices. Visit your app store and search "Cricut Joy".
The app icon looks like this...
Design Your Card:
Once installed, open the app.
On the first page, you have two choices for designing your own cards. Either Custom Insert Cards or Cutaway Cards.
For this tutorial, I chose Cutaway Cards.
The process is the same but the different types of cards require different card bases with the same name.
Select the orientation for your card and select the card size.
The next screen is where you design your card.
Press the image of the hot air balloon to search Cricut Design Space Images.
Once you find one you like, select it and add it to the design by pressing the checkmark.
Move the design where you want it on the card. You can also resize it by selecting the corner of the image and dragging it.
For my card, I added two images but you can add as many as you would like.
When you are happy with how your card looks, select Make It and follow the prompts in the app.
Keep your eye on the app because it gives you great tips along the way!
Prepping the Card:
Open the card blank and peel back the adhesive backing sheet.
The insert card will lay onto that adhesive with the design facing the adhesive and the white side out.
I find it easiest to lay the Cricut insert card on its side next to the crease in the card. Then roll it down onto the adhesive.
Rub over the insert with your fingers to make sure it is secure in the adhesive.
With the card open, slide the bottom right of the card into the card mat up to the fold in the card. Then shut the card on top of the mat.
Cut the Card:
Follow the prompts in the Cricut Joy app.
Load the mat into the Cricut Joy.
Select "Go" on the app to begin cutting.
When finished, select "Unload" on the app to remove the mat from the machine.
Carefully remove the card from the mat.
Using a weeding tool carefully remove the cut cardstock pieces from the card. As you do, you will reveal the insert card underneath.
Be careful with the weeding tool as you can scratch the insert card, so weed with a light hand.
When you are done, you have a one-of-a-kind card that you designed! Perfect for anyone that you love.
Our Crafting Essentials List:
- The Cricut Cutting Machine is easily our favorite crafting tool. We use it in so many of our tutorials!
- These MakerX Crafting Tools are perfect for keeping in the craft room, and are always ready when you need them!
- This Fiskars Paper Trimmer is easy to use and cuts nicely without frayed edges.
- These Scotch Precision Scissors cut like a dream and you get multiple pairs in a pack!
- 31 SVG Cut Files and Father's Day Gift Ideas
- The Easy Way to Layer Vinyl to Make Sticker Decals
- How to Make a Freezer Paper Stencil with Cricut
- 15 Beautiful Ribbon Flowers with Step by Step Tutorials
- 20 Free Family SVG Cut Files
- 20 Free Camping SVG Files for your Weekend Camp Trip
- 20 DIY Dog Crafts That Are Fun And Interactive
- 20 DIY Lampshade Ideas to Lighten Up a Room
- The Most Popular Cricut Fonts & Combinations for Your Projects
- 5 Minute Craft Ideas You Can Make at Home
- How to Make a Personalized Etched Glass Wine Bottle
- How to Make a DIY Gift Card Box
Leave a Reply