Add this quick and easy Christmas gift exchange dice game to your Christmas party or gathering. A fun Christmas present exchange game with printable rules.
Every year my family gets together for a BIG Christmas Party. And when I say big, I mean 40 plus people!
This year I was in charge of the gift exchange, which is my favorite task!
I love that this game can be played by all ages, and it works for small or large size groups as well.
More Holiday Group Game Ideas:
Be sure to look around the blog for more fun craft ideas!
Gift Exchange Game Preparation:
Before the party ask everyone to bring a gift.
You can set any limit you want, for our group we did $15.
Supplies You'll Need:
This post contains affiliate links.
- 2 Dice
- Clear plastic container to hold the dice (optional)
- Free Printable Dice Guide
- White Cardstock
- Red Cardstock
How to Start the Game:
Have everyone sit in a large circle and place all of the presents in the middle.
Ask everyone to grab a present from the middle, making sure it is not the gift that they brought.
The oldest person in the group starts the game and then passes the dice to the left.
How to Play:
Shake the container holding the dice.
Then simply do whatever the matching number on the card says to do.
There is no stealing in this gift exchange game, so when you have opened your gift you are done and no longer roll the dice.
How the Dice Gift Exchange Ends:
Keep passing the dice until there is only one gift left in the circle. The person who is holding that gift can then unwrap.
Alternate Ways To Play:
- Have the girls in the group bring a gift for a girl, and the boys bring a gift for the boys. Rule play is still the same, but when a boy rolls the dice, only the boys pass gifts, and when a girl rolls the dice, only girls pass gifts.
- Each Person Rolls the dice until someone gets to unwrap a gift.
- Only pass the dice around the circle once, and then all remaining gifts are unwrapped by the person holding them.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How many cards do I need to print?
Only one. The card can pass with the dice.
Once a gift is unwrapped can someone steal the gift?
No. Once a gift is opened it is out of play.
What do I do if I am holding my own gift and told to unwrap?
You can choose someone else to unwrap a gift, but they must not be holding their own gift either.
Will everyone unwrap a gift by the end of the game?
Yes, it is the end of the game when everyone has opened a gift.
What if I don't want to pass my wrapped gift.
Sorry, Charlie. Every wrapped gift must be passed when prompted too.
Print the PDF on white cardstock. Don't worry, the printed version of your card won't have the watermark on the front.
Trim the print at the dotted line, and trim off the white edges on the side.
Glue the print on top of a piece of red cardstock to make the card more sturdy and better for passing around the circle.
Our Crafting Essentials List:
- The Cricut Cutting Machine is easily our favorite crafting tool. We use it in so many of our tutorials!
- These MakerX Crafting Tools are perfect to keep in the craft room, and are always ready when you need them!
- This Fiskars Paper Trimmer is easy to use and cuts nicely without frayed edges.
- These Scotch Precision Scissors cut like a dream and you get multiple pairs in a pack!
If you love this tutorial, please give it a five-star review and help me share it on Facebook and Pinterest!