Learn how to make Muddy Buddies a snack recipe that is quick and easy to make with only 6 ingredients! Easy DIY Recipe Tutorial Idea. This post contains affiliate links.
Muddy Buddies are a very popular treat around here. In fact, they are a camp trip must. There is nothing better than sitting around the campfire eating a handful of muddy buddies!
More Dessert Recipes:
Yummy desserts are my favorite part of any meal, especially when that dessert includes ice cream! And hopefully, you do too because we have several recipes to share with you. Like Chocolate Caramel Popcorn Crunch, Apple Pecan Pastry, and Peanut Butter Chocolate Pretzel Bars.
Be sure to look around the blog for more yummy dessert recipes!
Why We Love This Recipe:
This recipe is super easy to make and stores great, so you can enjoy this recipe for up to a week - if it lasts that long!
Plus, have you ever met anyone that doesn't like Muddy Buddies? I haven't either!
Does Chex Muddy Buddies Have To Be Refrigerated?
No, this snack mix will store just fine in an air-tight container for several days. But if you do store it in the refrigerator it will last for up to a week.
Can I Only Use Rice Chex?
You can use any flavor of Chex Cereal you would like!
- Rice Chex
- Corn Chex
- Honey Nut Chex
- Wheat Chex
- Cinnamon Chex
- Apple Cinnamon Chex
- Blueberry Chex
- Peanut Butter Chex
- Chocolate Chex
Why Is It Called Puppy Chow?
You are right! This delicious snack has 2 names and both are pretty popular.
Muddy Buddies is what we call it at our house, but I have friends who call it Puppy Chow.
I believe it got that name because it looks like dog kibble.
Ingredients You'll Need For This Recipe: (Full Recipe at the bottom of this post)
How to Make Chex Mix Muddy Buddies:
Measure cereal and place it in a large bowl with a lid.
In a microwave-safe bowl, add chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter.
Place the uncovered bowl in the microwave and on melt on High for 1 minute; stir.
Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla.
Pour the melted chocolate mixture onto the pre-measured cereal.
Stirring everything together until evenly coated.
Add powdered sugar.
Place a lid on the bowl and shake until well coated.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yum!
Our Baking Essential List:
- For baking casseroles, we use Glass Baking Dishes. I especially like the dishes with lids so leftovers can be transferred straight to the fridge.
- Silicone Kitchenware is my favorite because they don't scratch my cookware and are super easy to clean!
- To prepare all of those ingredients a Glass Cutting Board is a must. We even keep ours on our counter at all times.
- This Knife Set will also become your favorite! They cut beautifully and with the hollow design of the knife, food doesn't stick to the blade.
How To Make Rice Chex Muddy Buddies an Easy DIY Recipe
- 9 cups Rice Chex Cereal
- 1 cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- ½ cup Peanut Butter
- ¼ cup Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 ½ Cups Powdered Sugar
- In a 1-quart microwave-safe bowl, add chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter.
- Place the bowl in the microwave uncovered on cook on High for 1 minute; stir.
- Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture onto the pre-measured cereal.
- Stirring everything together until evenly coated.
- Add powdered sugar.
- Place a lid on the bowl and shake until well coated.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.