Learn how to make Muddy Buddies a snack recipe that is quick and easy to make with only 6 ingredients! Easy DIY Recipe Tutorial Idea. This post contains affiliate links.
Muddy Buddies are a very popular treat around here. In fact, they are a camp trip must. There is nothing better than sitting around the campfire eating a handful of muddy buddies!
Why We Love This Recipe:
This recipe is super easy to make and stores great, so you can enjoy this recipe for up to a week - if it lasts that long!
Plus, have you ever met anyone who doesn't like Muddy Buddies? I haven't either!
Does Chex Muddy Buddies Have To Be Refrigerated?
No, this snack mix will be stored just fine in an air-tight container for several days. But if you do store it in the refrigerator it will last for up to a week.
Can I Only Use Rice Chex?
You can use any flavor of Chex Cereal you would like!
- Rice Chex
- Corn Chex
- Honey Nut Chex
- Wheat Chex
- Cinnamon Chex
- Apple Cinnamon Chex
- Blueberry Chex
- Peanut Butter Chex
- Chocolate Chex
Why Is It Called Puppy Chow?
You are right! This delicious snack has 2 names and both are pretty popular.
Muddy Buddies is what we call it at our house, but I have friends who call it Puppy Chow.
I believe it got that name because it looks like dog kibble.
Ingredients You'll Need For This Recipe: (Full Recipe at the bottom of this post)
- Rice Chex Cereal
- Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- Creamy Peanut Butter
- Vanilla Extract
- Powdered Sugar
How to Make Chex Mix Muddy Buddies:
Measure cereal and place it in a large bowl with a lid.
In a microwave-safe bowl, add chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter.
Place the uncovered bowl in the microwave and melt on High for 1 minute; stir.
Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until the mixture can be stirred smoothly. Stir in vanilla.
Pour the melted chocolate mixture onto the pre-measured cereal.
Stirring everything together until evenly coated.
Add powdered sugar.
Place a lid on the bowl and shake until well coated.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yum!
How To Make Rice Chex Muddy Buddies an Easy DIY Recipe
- 9 cups Rice Chex Cereal
- 1 cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- ½ cup Peanut Butter
- ¼ cup Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 ½ Cups Powdered Sugar
- In a 1-quart microwave-safe bowl, add chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter.
- Place the bowl in the microwave uncovered on cook on High for 1 minute; stir.
- Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture onto the pre-measured cereal.
- Stirring everything together until evenly coated.
- Add powdered sugar.
- Place a lid on the bowl and shake until well coated.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Our Baking Essential List:
- For baking casseroles, we use Glass Baking Dishes. I especially like the dishes with lids so leftovers can be transferred straight to the fridge.
- Silicone Kitchenware is my favorite because they don't scratch my cookware and are super easy to clean!
- To prepare all of those ingredients a Glass Cutting Board is a must. We even keep ours on our counter at all times.
- This Knife Set will also become your favorite! They cut beautifully and with the hollow design of the knife, food doesn't stick to the blade.