T-shirt yarn is a great way to make new projects from old t-shirts. Here are 20 simple t-shirt yarn projects that make great gifts or handmade crafts.
In a million years, I never would have thought to upcycle old t-shirts into yarn! People are so smart.
All of these projects are super smart too, there are so many things you can make with jersey knit yarn!
More Craft Idea Posts:
Idea posts are awesome because they give you lots of ideas all in one place! Here are a few more idea posts that I think you might like: 20 Tips for Keeping Your Home Clean, 20 Affordable Rainbow Crafts for Adults, and 20 Handmade Gift Ideas that Cost Less than $20.
Be sure to look around the blog for more home decor ideas!
Tshirt Yarn Projects
Simply tap on the project title to be taken to the step-by-step tutorial.
1. How to Make T-Shirt Yarn from Endlessly Inspired
Recycle your old t-shirts into yarn! You can use t-shirt yarn to make jewelry, rugs, bags, coasters, and lots more!
2. Tshirt Yarn Headband from The Crafty Blog Stalker
Reuse that old shirt and make a fashionable headband you'll love to wear! Below is the tshirt headband tutorial with video.
3. Braided Belt from Delia Creates
Want another great way to use old T-shirts? Well…how about a braided belt? It’s pretty easy. The part that takes the most time is the braiding really.
4. Braided Rug Coasters from Mom It Forward
Did your grandma have braided rag rugs when you were little? Mine did, I loved them! Every time I see one, I get nostalgic for my grandparents' house.
5. T-Shirt Bracelets by A Girl and a Glue Gun
These are made out of t-shirt material. It’s awesome and stretchy and doesn’t fray and you can hot glue the crap out it!
6. Dog Chew Toy from Old Tshirts from The CRafty Blog Stalker
Make a dog chew toy using your old t-shirts for your furry friend.
7. Trivets from T-Shirt Yarn from The Tip Toe Fairy
Does anyone ever have enough hot pads or potholders or trivets for the kitchen? I know I never do. I’m always having to fold up kitchen towels to put hot dishes on the table or the counter.
8. Finger Knitted Necklace from I Love to Create
To add a little "punch" to this tutorial I decided to tie-dye a t-shirt and use that instead of yarn! OH! Did I mention we are making yarn also? Yipee!
9. T-Shirt Pom Poms from Craftaholics Anonymous
Learn how to turn old t-shirts into pom poms! Tshirt Pom Poms are so much more durable than tissue paper ones. And I think they look loads better!
10. Infinity Necklace from The Thinking Closet
Well, I’m on a kick with the infinity t-shirt scarves, it seems…because this is my second one in two days. I guess I’m just too lazy to make a craft store run when I can just raid my closet for supplies.
11. DIY Rag Rug from Sustain My Craft Habit
At the top of my crafting bucket list are things like: crochet, quilting, pottery, and yes, a DIY rag rug. I may never become an expert in all these things but I will at least have given them a try at some point.
12. T-Shirt Yarn Crochet Basket from Urbaki
Baskets are such a versatile item with so many applications. From a simple key bowl to a new project basket. These delicious baskets are created with a jersey knit fabric, they can be found in many online stores or your local yarn shop. I have seen some crafters create their own from old shirts.
13. TShirt Yarn Hanging Basket from One Dog Woof
If your family is anything like mine, you’ve got stuff. Stuffed stuffs that keep multiplying in your house like rabbits because your kids seem to collect anything soft, squishy and stuffed. And even if you didn’t have mountains of stuff you’ll want to store stuff in this modern and clean-looking t-shirt yarn hanging basket.
14. Chunky Woven Bath Mat from A Beautiful Mess
Shopping for bath mats isn’t the most glamorous way to spend an afternoon, but spending a few hours enjoying your new favorite hobby with the outcome being a custom woven piece of pure joy to step on sure is.
15. Crochet Stool Cover from Micha Makes
A few years ago my husband and I bought a couple plain counter-height stools for some space-saving seating in our kitchen. They have definitely served their purpose over the years, but they are not very comfortable and they certainly leave something to be desired style-wise. I decided it was time for some DIY.
16. T-Shirt Yarn Bracelets from Blue Bear Wood
These fun and colorful t-shirt yarn bracelets are super chic, easy to make, and best of all cheap. The perfect thrifty Summer accessory for kids and adults. Great for the beach, holidays, parties, going out, hanging out, and of course festivals.
17. Grab and Go Tote from Hands Occupied
Motivated by some nice spring weather, I whipped up this design when I was feeling the need to do some warm weather crochet one night. What can I say? There was cute t-shirt yarn in my stash that had been calling my name all winter!
18. Tassel Keychain with Tshirt Yarn from Creative Jewish Mom
I just love t-shirt yarn, and never to waste any. These examples are just my first attempts, and I'm sure with the addition of a little sparkle or a wooden bead or two things could get even cuter!
19. Finger Weaved Necklace from Repeat Crafter Me
Here is a project that is great for kids, tweens, teens, and adults! Finger weaving (also referred to as finger knitting) is a simple way of forming a complex looking braid. I am going to show you how to finger weave a necklace, but you could make a bracelet or a variety of other projects!
20. T-shirt Yarn Dreamcatcher from Along Came Cherry
This dreamcatcher tutorial really is so easy, you can knock one up in no time and customise it to match your colour scheme.
Our Crafting Essentials List:
- The Cricut Cutting Machine is easily our favorite crafting tool. We use it in so many of our tutorials!
- These MakerX Crafting Tools are perfect for keeping in the craft room, and are always ready when needed!
- This Fiskars Paper Trimmer is easy to use and cuts nicely without frayed edges.
- These Scotch Precision Scissors cut like a dream and you get multiple pairs in a pack!
- How to Make a Mermaid Tail for Dress-Up
- How to Bling Your Jeans with Rhinestones
- 20 Beautiful Fabric Flower Tutorials
- How to Make a Colorful DIY Felt Garland the Easy Way
- 20 Easy Drinking Straw Crafts You Can Make At Home
- 20 Sewing Patterns for Purses and Bags that You Can Sew
- How to Make a Minky Rag Quilt
- How to Make a Build a Bear Wardrobe
- 20 Fun Shoelace Crafts You Can Do
- 20 Fun Pool Noodle Crafts
- How to Make a DIY Pool Noodle Lightsaber
- How to Make a Custom Kitchen Rug