Learn what paint to use on glass with American Gloss Enamels paints. Click here for the complete painting on glass tutorial and video. Some of the supplies for this post have been provided by DecoArt. All opinions are mine alone.
Have you ever wanted to try glass painting?
It is a fun craft to learn, but if you are new to this type of crafting you probably have some questions. That is why I am here to help!
We have partnered with Deco Art and want to show and explain their different Glass paints. They are all amazing, but each has a different look.
More Glass Painting Craft Tutorials:
Glass painting is a fun craft and we are here to show you how you can do it too with step by step tutorials. Like these Colored Drinking Glasses, this Glass Painte Mug, and this Glass Painted Pumpkin Jar.
Be sure to look around the blog for more craft tutorial ideas!
Deco Art Paints Used:
This post contains affiliate links.
For this test, I took a sheet of glass out of a frame so the different glass paint could be applied side by side. Also, the same blue was used in all paints so you could easily see a comparison.
- 3D Opaque Gloss Enamels
- Bottle includes a fine tip to easily write or draw to add dimension to your craft project. Great for personalizing, outlining, simple dots and swirls.
- Frost Gloss Enamels
- Gives glass a translucent finish. Use a cosmetic sponge to dab on paint for the best results.
- Crystal Gloss Enamels
- Brush on paint that gives the glass a transparent jewel-tone.
- Gloss Enamels
- This paint works on several different surfaces including wood, paper mache, plastic, resin, ceramics, glass, and many other surfaces.
- Crystal Gloss Enamels Glitter
- Adds sparkle and shimmer to your painted glass project. Use a paintbrush to apply this transparent paint with ultra-fine glitter.
Craft Tutorial Video:
ooks of DecoArt Glass Paint:
Before use, be sure to shake the bottle well and clean the surface with alcohol.
In my sample, I divided each section with a strip of tape to keep the different paint separate.
I removed the tape and let the paint dry for 4 days. This is a must to let the paint completely dry and adhere to the glass.
How to Cure DecoArt Glass Paint so it is Permanent:
For a dishwasher-safe finish on oven-safe surfaces, place the project in a cool oven and set the oven to the indicated temperature on the bottle. The different paints have a different temperature. Bake for 30 minutes and cool with oven door partially open. Cleans up with soap and water.
Make sure to apply the paint to areas of the glass that will not be in direct contact with food or your mouth. The paint is non-toxic but you still don’t want to ingest it.
From this test, my favorite is the Crystal Gloss Enamels. It is the middle strip on the pain of glass. I love the jewel-tone that it gives. It is glossy and still transparent. But of course, it also depends on what type of project you are working on and the look that you are going for.
When you make a craft with glass paint please share a photo! We’d love to see it.
Our Crafting Essentials List:
- So many of our crafts use a Cricut Machine, this is by far, my favorite tool! And there are different machines to choose from to fit every budget.
- Sharp scissors are a must, and these Precision Edge Scissors are the best.
- Keep your supplies and projects organized with these Stackable Storage Baskets.