The beautiful look of mercury glass is simple to recreate. Below is the step by step tutorial. Works on anything glass!
Mercury glass is also known as silver glass. It is a beautiful glass with an aged mirrored look.
Luckily, replicating this silver glass look is really simple, and is a fun craft for an afternoon.
Recently, I helped a friend who was creating several glass bowls and vases to use as centerpieces. We had so much and I love how every single one of the pieces turned out. I will definitely be using this technique again!
Supplies You'll Need to Create this Project:
This post contains affiliate links.
- Glass Vase (will work on anything glass)
- Krylon Looking Glass Silver Spray Paint
- Spray Bottle with Water
- Paper Towels
Craft Tutorial Video:
How to DIY Mercury Glass:
Clean the glass vase really well. You want to make sure there is no oil from your hands or sticky residue from stickers.
You can use a window cleaner, or my favorite is isopropyl alcohol.
In a spray bottle, mix 1 part water to 1 part vinegar.
Lightly mist the glass vase with the water/vinegar mixture.
Apply a Light Layer of the looking glass spray paint.
Allow the paint to dry for 1 minute then lightly mist the glass again with the water mixture.
Apply another light layer of Looking Glass spray paint.
Allow to dry for 2 minutes, and then pat dry with a paper towel.
Repeat the steps above until you have the desired look. For most of our glass pieces we went through the steps 3 - 4 times. It all depends on how thick you apply the paint and how water spotted you want the glass to look.
Here is a before an after of my favorite piece, a large glass vase. I love how the silver really brings out the cut of the glass. It is beautiful!
Here are more of the glass dishes we painted. Each one is so unique, and I can't get over how easy this was to do!
When you use this mercury glass technique, please share a photo! We'd love to see.
Our Crafting Essentials List:
- The Cricut Cutting Machine is easily our favorite crafting tool. We use it in so many of our tutorials!
- These MakerX Crafting Tools are perfect for keeping in the craft room, and are always ready when needed!
- This Fiskars Paper Trimmer is easy to use and cuts nicely without frayed edges.
- These Scotch Precision Scissors cut like a dream and you get multiple pairs in a pack!
- How to Make Glitter Shaker Snowman Decor with Cricut SnapMat
- 16 Rusty Vintage Spring Crafts for Your Home
- How to Easily Make a Concrete Buoy DIY Door Stopper
- 75 Easy DIY Home Decor Projects to Fit Your Style
- 20 Succulent Crafts Ideas that are Fun and Easy!
- 20 DIY Lampshade Ideas to Lighten Up a Room
- 20 DIY Ideas to Personalize Your Shadow Box or Shadowbox
- How to Make a Napping Blanket with Iron-on Vinyl and Cricut
- 20 Beautiful Etched Glass Project Ideas Made at Home
- How to Make Sharpie Plates and Is It Permanent
- Top 5 Cricut Explore Air 2 Projects for Beginners
- How to Make a Vinyl Mirror Decal Quote with Cricut Explore